Friday, April 10, 2009

4/10/09 Sleepovers? WHY?

OK so I more and more have a problem with my teenage girls having sleepovers. My 16 year old daughter has had a group of 11 girlfriends that she has run around with for the past 5 years. I LOVE these girls. I feel like I know most of them well and enjoy them. But...more times than not in a "pack" they are a recipe for disaster. I haven't caught them doing anything at our house. Let me restate that. I have YET to catch them doing something at our house. I know I know I'm probably crazy thinking that they haven't pulled the wool over my eyes. I know they've been caught at some of the other girls houses being less than virtuous. Whatever the case. I am starting to really consider not letting my girls have any more sleepovers.
They can drive, and have a car. Is there really a need to spend the night at someone's house?
I feel like by letting them spend the night I am basically giving them a "get out of jail free card". Kind of looking the other way.
I fully expect my daughters to test the waters. I would be KRAZY to think they wouldn't. I was the "fun" girl, and my husband (Mr. Serious Business) was Mr. Party. So I'm not completely blind. But do I really need to give them a license?

Here is my dilemma...I don't want to keep them from having the fun, hilarious memories that are made on girlfriend sleepover escapades. Think of the scene from "Grease" when everyone is spending the night at Frenchies house. I think of spending the night with my girlfriends and some of the super fun memories I have. But, most of the really fun memories involve something that I as a their parent, not their friend should be doing everything I can do to prevent.
UGH!
What about you? When you really take an honest look at things is it a good idea or is spending the night just one of those things that we let them do and HOPE that they don't screw up?
Sound off.

No comments:

Post a Comment