Saturday, April 11, 2009

Curfew - Nothing Good Happens after Midnight!


I remember hating my curfew! I mean just getting M-A-D when I had to be home by a certain time. Even though 90% of the time there wasn't anything to do after 11:30 or 12 anyway. Just knowing that I had to be home was annoying.

Nowwwww I understand. I understand that my Mom just wanted to go to bed. I mean she'd worked all day, and probably had a million other pressing issues that couldn't have ever entered my mind, and she wanted to go to bed knowing that I was home.

So here I am with these teenage girls, on of which is on the verge of being 18.

Yes, they have a curfew. It just cracks me up that all of the things - every single rule that just burned me as a teenager, are the VERY things that are the biggest sticking points for my husband and I. Figures.

Their curfew is 11pm. Legal curfew is 1am. Seriously? Why? So, my girls ( the negotiators) are always trying to get us to move it back to midnight. NO.

First of all I don't want to have to stay up until midnight every night of the weekend.

Second, if they are late then I'm up until 2am because of the lengthy lecture that will come when they come in late!

Third---NOTHING GOOD IS GOING ON PAST 11PM! Nothing, period.


Just think about it. When does any party start to ramp up adult or otherwise? After 11. When I was hitting the bar scene, back when I was cool, we didn't even get ready to go out until 10pm. So when we got to the bar or party it was 11 and then we were in the thick of it.


Unfortunately they have more friends that have a midnight or later curfew than they do friends that have to be in at 11. My argument for that is well then they can come over to our house until its time for them to go home.

I try to choose my battles carefully. I mean there are soooo many things that I could just pick pick pick at but I don't. But curfew is an important one for me. It may just be the one thing that

keeps them from getting into a bad situation. One that they aren't prepared to handle. If they have to be home before the magic hour (midnight) then maybe we can cut out a few of the crazy things that "could" happen.

Am I living in La La Land?

Sound off. What are your rules about curfew?

No comments:

Post a Comment