I'm sitting in the Dr. office of all places where everyone eve's drops, and my daughter informs that she can't wait to be 18 because she wants to get a belly button ring. Why can't the week just start off slow? The first thing I thought was Dorothy and The Wizard of Oz. I also thought about the first time we were faced with the knowledge that our beautiful innocent daughters weren't so innocent. OK maybe it wasn't the very first time but it definitely stands out.
I remember it like it was yesterday. Standing in the kitchen getting ready to serve a beautiful dinner with both of the Grandmas over. It was summer, a hot sunny beautiful day, and my sweet little girl walked thru the door with her long flowing blonde hair pulled into a ponytail and a cute little tank top on. She walked over to give me a hug and as she was walking over I saw what No mother wants to see. A HICKEY! EEEWWWWW! Are you joking! Of course it was during a family dinner. Of course one of the Granny's saw the stupid thing at the same time I did, and of course...Dad was in the room also. What a proud moment. I know I know it's not like she came in pregnant, or with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth. But, few things register on my chart as more dirty looking than a hickey! T-R-A-S-H-Y!.
I acknowledged her branding by a nice little poke in the neck and with clenched teeth told her to at least have the decency to take her hair down. She of course acted like I was a complete fool and said "What, its not a hickey" Yeah riiiiiight. Seriously her hair was in a ponytail! Have MERCY girl!!!!!!!!!!
The next day in the car my other teenage daughter was in the back seat and we had all of the windows down, wouldn't you just know it the wind blew her hair and sure enough she had one tooooo! I about wrecked the car. I blew up. The typical bad reaction to a very typical teenage or even pre-teen right of passage. Although I will tell you honestly I have NEVER EVER had a hickey NOT ONE! But, I know that a hickey doesn't make a person a serial killer. Stay with me I'm on a roll.
My question after the rant was...exactly what were the hands doing while the hickey giving was going on? That got me a big fat "GAWHHHHH MOM you are SO WEIRD! Why would you ask that?" Well why wouldn't I? I mean seems to me that the hands are a very important part of the equation. Um and what was the hickey process working toward? I mean was that just an accidental oops I kissed you a little to hard. Hope your parents don't get upset I don't want to be disrespectful. I doubt it!
These raging hormonal years are such a killer for parents. I understand and even remember the powerful feelings of being a hormonal teenager in lust. But I would have at least had the self respect to not be BRANDED by some sex crazed BOY! GRRR! If by chance it did happen I would have used the spoon trick, or gathered all of the make-up I could find and try to cover it up. But nooooo not my sweet little baby. She wore her hair in a PONYTAIL! I've since come across other challenges that seem to be even more monumental...never the less this was a big one.
What do ya'll think. Am I crazy or am I on the right track.
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment