"Hey Mom, so when I'm 18...like what do I get to do?" That was the latest question posed to me during a recent makeup buying expedition. My answer--VOTE.
Which of course was met with a HUGE eye roll and a, "you are so annoying!"
And I'm thinking, aaaa yah you too! I mean the 18 year old question isn't really any different than the 16 year old question. Nothing changes at midnight on the last night that my daughter is 17. At 12:01am on her birthday she is not going to become responsible and ready to take on the world.
I believe anything is possible, but really? No...it's NOT likely.
I am a Dr. Phil watcher. In fact truth be known I often in the midst of a crisis filled day I am convinced that we may be "The Next Dr. Phil Family". Have probably prayed for it.
I've heard him say as well as some other child psychologists that a persons brain isn't fully developed until they are between 22 and 25. So why would she be ready for full adult privelges at 18? Who made the stupid rule anyway that says you are an adult at 18?! I wasn't an adult until I was at least 25. I mean I think that slowly as with anything else they need to be given more and more responsibility. I obviously know that they need to learn and have survival skills before leaving the nest and going to college.
I asked her what she thought she should be able to do? Of course first thing was the curfew---ugh! Stay home for the weekend alone if we are traveling and she has to work. First that smells fishy. I mean besides the fact that if we were going out of town. I am sure she would ask off! AND she'd have a party! I would if I were an 18 year old girl home alone for the weekend. She really thinks we are dim. So, the curfew, stay home alone. Next, well I should be able to do things like go to Bloomington, or Layfayette (IU or Purdue) or spend the night downtown after a concert or something with my friends. OMGSH!!!!! My first thought...this girl is smoking crack.
But then I recalled my 18th birthday. I spent it at Purdue-it was Grand Prix weekend. OOPS! Still ummmm NOPE!
Words to live by "When You Know Better, You Do Better". I completely remember that weekend. I know better. SHE'S NOT GOING>>UNLESS SHE SNEAKS>>>SHE MIGHT.
I will let my girls learn how to enter the adult world. But at 12:01am on their birthday I will not hand over the reigns. When they pay their way, and don't ask for our help...then they've made it.
Sound off! Come on gals.
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment